English Muffins (No Knead Recipe)

by - 2:04 PM

English Muffins

Made these English Muffins for breakfast this morning. This is a "no knead" and "no oven" recipe, super easy to make by following "Bigger Bolder Baking"'s recipe.


Gemma also gave great tips on how to make delicious English muffins: for example, by using half wheat flour and half all-purpose flour.  I didn't use half wheat today, but perhaps in the next batch. Looking at how well received this first attempt at English Muffins, I am pretty sure I will make them again! Today, I halved what the recipe called for in the ingredients and tried the original way to savour these with margarine. They turned out so fresh and yummy!

Next version was with Peanut Butter, that flavour worked great too! Another great tip is that: if I have had made these during my time while I was living in Estonia, I will probably heat up the oven and turn it off after 5 minutes. Then, leave the oven door open, and hold it slightly ajar with a wooden spoon, to create a warmer kitchen environment inorder to help the dough proof in a cold climate cooking environment. I am absolutely sure these muffins taste great with a warm cup of beverage like coffee in the Fall or Winter seasons.

My husband ate about five muffins at a go! It was "that good"! So in the ingredients, I used regular milk and some butter. I think for vegan English Muffins, you can substitute it with dairy-free milk and some coconut oil, which I think the end product will smell great too! As far as I know, these can also be baked and might be different texture than frying them in a non-stick pan.

The other tip given by Gemma is to coat the top and bottom with fine cornmeal. This will create a crispy textured crust. I do not have cornmeal in my kitchen though. There are also storage tips, as we finished the whole batch at one go! I didn't use it. Haha, so in case you have leftovers, you can wrap them and freeze (up to eight weeks! geez). Then defrost them at room temperature and give it a toast, and then you're ready to go!

I made these muffins last night before I go to sleep, so it was only given 9 hours of fermentation. It is recommended to give it an 18 hour fermentation period and leave in the fridge for three days! However, I think there might be too much alcohol smell due to the yeast and climate here in Singapore. So I guess 9 hours is sufficient. Once again, Thank you so much Gemma for sharing your recipe! 


Servings: 8 English Muffins  

2 1/2 cups (350g)  all-purpose flour 

1/4 teaspoon instant yeast 

1/4 teaspoon salt 

2/3 cups (142ml) milk 

1/2 cups (115ml) water 

1 tablespoon butter




You May Also Like

0 comments