Mayonnaise Chocolate Cake

by - 8:33 PM


The true story of this Chocolate Cake was actually from 2 mistakes. One by me and one by my husband. As you know, I received a food processor as a Christmas present last year. And one of the feature that I want to try very much was homemade mayonnaise condiment.

The chance arrived after New Year's Eve of 2019. We ran out of Mayonnaise, so with 2 egg yolks at room temperature, I decided to use the whipping disc and made the first batch of homemade mayo.

I didn't expect, the whipping process was actually very efficient. Just I added English Mustard sauce (instead of Dijon Mustard) and I've added Apple Cider as well as Lemon Juice! (A tat too much I think!)

The outcome was a very creamy mayonnaise that is (in my honest opinion) too much acidic taste?!

We didn't need to toss them, quite a lot with 2 egg yolks actually, so I decided to turn it into the main ingredient in this Chocolate Cake. Mayonnaise works perfectly for a Chocolate Cake because it really brings out the Chocolatey flavors! What mayonnaise actually IS, is an emulsion of oil, vinegar and egg yolk. Sometimes added with buttermilk for Double Chocolate Cupcakes. It is simply a shortcut to baking a delicious cake.

How to Make Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake:
This cake is so simple to make! It is so tender and fluffy and soft and will become your new go-to dessert.

Mix all the dry ingredients together: flour, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, and baking soda. Next, you’ll add in the mayonnaise, water, and vanilla and beat until smooth.

Pour the batter into a circular greased baking pan and bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

I've just told you the first mistake. The second mistake was, while I was googling the recipe (which was like a couple of minutes), my husband accidentally added some water to the egg whites that I was planning to use for the cake!!!
(actually it was quite frustrating because he meant well to help to wash the dishes after lunch) Instead, I need to find a recipe that can include egg whites with water for making this chocolate cake!

But well, fortunately, the cake amazingly turned out very well, following is my recipe:

Ingredients
CAKE:
  • 2 cups (256g) all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
  • 6 tablespoons (44g) cocoa powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 cup (237g) water
  • 1 cup (232g) mayonnaise
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

OPTIONAL FUDGE SAUCE:
  • 3/4 cup (179g) heavy cream
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips 6 ounces
  • toasted walnuts optional
  • vanilla ice cream optional

Instructions
CAKE
  1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a circular baking pan. Add baking paper for a mess-free cake ;)
  2. Whip the egg whites and water.
  3. Whisk the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and baking soda together in medium mixing bowl. Add the mayonnaise, and vanilla and mix until evenly combined. 
  4. Pour batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out mostly clean.

OPTIONAL FUDGE SAUCE:
  1. Place chocolate chips in a bowl. Heat whipping cream, pour over chocolate chips, and cover. Let sit for 5 minutes and then whisk until smooth.
  2. Serve cake warm or reheat. Spoon fudge sauce on top of cake, sprinkle with walnuts, top with ice cream. Serve immediately.

You May Also Like

0 comments