"I-DID-IT-AGAIN" Carrot Cake (Estonia)

by - 3:06 PM


"I-DID-IT-AGAIN"! I made this Carrot Cake for the second time and it was a great success! Here is the recipe or see below, the texture is so moist. The only difference is I am using whipped heavy cream instead of butter for the cream cheese frosting. Noticed the tint of difference in the cream texture? It is smoother which flows and the frosting using butter is with a tint of "buttery-yellow'' :)


In Estonia, vahukoor (or heavy cream) comes in 200ml package or 400ml. Since I am making only one cake with two eggs, I used this small packaging type. It is a joke to have added in the title that this Carrot Cake is from Estonia. (There is Porganditort toorjuustukreemiga in Estonian as its Carrot Cake). Rather, I meant to say I am making this cake in Estonia with an Estonian heavy cream. To be really honest, I love the dairy products in Estonia like their sour cream (Harpukoor), butter (voi) from Saaremaa in particular and certain cheeses. I cannot take most kinds of its yoghurt or milk sometimes it makes my tummy 'work'.

Carrot Cake Recipe by Jodee

INGREDIENTS
1 Cup (200g/7oz) brown sugar
2 eggs
1 Cup (200g/7oz) butter
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 1/2 Cups (200g/7oz) flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon powder
(200g/7oz) carrots (finely grated)


Cream Cheese Frosting:

1 cup (200g) powdered sugar, sifted lightly to remove any lumps
1/2 lb (8oz/220g) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
1/4 cup (2oz/60g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract

METHOD
1. Whisk together sugar, eggs and butter until thick.
2. Then add in flour and cinnamon and mix gently
3. Lastly, add in the grated carrots and mix in until well combined.
4. Grease and line a baking pan. 
5. Pour mixture into pan and place in the oven at 340
°F (170°C) for 35-40 minutes (or until a skewer comes out clean).
6. Leave to cool in pan for 10mins then turn onto a cooling rack.
7. To prepare the frosting: In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high speed cream cheese and butter until smooth. Then slowly add in the powdered sugar and vanilla until it is smooth and creamy (do not over beat). Chill until needed.
8. Decorate as desire.


My husband likes carrot cake very much. So whenever we have an opportunity to visit some of the cafes in Tallinn, he would order a slice of the carrot cake. This is my first attempt at making this carrot cake. I remember when I was pregnant with Hedi, I was always craving for carrot cake. Today, Hedi gets to taste this carrot cake I've made. She could recognise it and said '胡萝卜' (Hú luó bo) which means 'carrot' in Mandarin Chinese while I was grating the carrots before making the cake. Hedi is now 3 years and 9 months.

You May Also Like

0 comments